join us on the lookout for some of the last and most magnificent silent predators still living on earth.

a game of hide & seek

un brin d'histoire

A bit of history

Circuit historique piétonnier pour en connaître
davantage sur nos ancêtres :

Walking circuit to discover local history to
learn more about our ancestors
:

Circuithistoriquepietonnier.cfm​

Aujourd'hui​

1911​

With 1946’s  baby-boom, the opening of two establishments marks the end of the range schoolhouses (on what is now 329) Sacré-Coeur school in 1953 and Sainte-Bernadette school in 1956. A new convent is inaugurated for the 1959 school season, where religious and lay teachers work together.

 

The last major development before the Ministère de l’éducation’s renowned amalgamation law, is the addition of six classes and a gymnasium to Sacré-Coeur School in 1963. Then, in 1972, after 89 years of successful local education, the administration is given over to the regional Commission Scolaire des Laurentides.

Suite à l’explosion démographique de 1946, l’ouverture de deux établissements marque la fin des écoles de rangs. Il s’agit de l’école Sacré-Coeur en 1953 et Sainte-Bernadette en 1956. À la rentrée scolaire de 1959, on inaugure le nouveau couvent avec le personnel enseignant religieux et laïque. L’école Sacré-Coeur voit ses derniers changements majeurs en 1963 avec l’addition de 6 classes et d’un gymnase.​

 

En 1972, une loi ordonne le regroupement des municipalités scolaires locales en commissions scolaires régionales. C’est ainsi qu’après 89 années de belles réussites, la municipalité scolaire de Saint-Donat-de-Montcalm cède sa place à la Commission scolaire régionale des Laurentides.

L’institutrice Justine Granger et une partie de sa classe vers 1907​

Le couvent Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes

1925-1959

Schools in the village

 

In 1883, nine years after the founding of our parish, the local Saint-Donat-de-Montcalm school board is established. Two schoolhouses are opened, one on Wall road and one at the junction of routes 125 and 329. Then in 1894, a first school in the heart of the village is built, but it is only a large rectangular room on stilts. So, it is only in 1911 that a school is built and insulated well enough to resist the hardships of winter.

 

Up until 1923, teaching in Saint-Donat is done mostly by village laywomen. At the request of school commissioners, teaching in the village is given over to the Sisters of Notre-Dame de Mont-Laurier, followed in 1933 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. The Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes convent is built around 1926. It includes eight classrooms, a chapel, a dormitory and accommodates 168 students.

Les écoles du village

 

En 1883, soit 9 ans après la fondation de notre paroisse, est constituée la municipalité scolaire de Saint-Donat-de-Montcalm. Deux écoles de rang sont alors ouvertes, à la jonction des routes 125 et 329 et sur le chemin Wall. Puis, en 1894 est construite une première école au coeur du village, il ne s’agit en fait que d’une grande pièce rectangulaire construite sur pilotis. Il faudra cependant attendre jusqu’en 1911 pour avoir une école suffisamment bien construite et isolée apte à faire face aux rigueurs de l’hiver.

 

Jusqu’en 1923, l’enseignement à Saint-Donat est l’affaire des laïques, des donatiennes en majorité. À la demande des commissaires scolaires, l’enseignement à l’école du village est alors transmis aux Soeurs Notre-Dame de Mont-Laurier, suivi en 1933 par les soeurs de Saint-Croix. Vers 1926, le couvent Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes est construit, il comprend 8 classes, une chapelle, un dortoir et accueille 168 élèves.

Guide Saint-Donat © Tous droits réservés 

GuideSaintDonat.ca